August 22, 2013

The summer ended, but this intern is more fired up than ever

Share:
Casey CampbellBy Casey Campbell, NCGA-St. Louis Intern

Friday, August 9 was my last day with the National Corn Growers Association and I cannot believe how quickly this summer blew by. I started out getting lost many times each day and now I could navigate not only my way around the office, but also the drive to and from the office in my sleep. I also came into the summer expecting to just be stuck in a cubicle the whole time and not have any chances to meet anyone. I ended up forming relationships with almost everyone in the office and miss them all.

This summer I was able to do so much more than I ever thought possible as an intern. I didn’t fill my days with busywork like you see interns doing on TV, instead I was busy doing research, meeting new people, and learning through trial and error how to optimize social media.

My last month or so at NCGA proved to be just as crazy and exciting as the rest. It also helped me realize where in the agricultural industry I want to direct my career. This all started during my trip to DC. In the days before Corn Congress, NCGA hosts their July Action Team Meetings and I was asked to take notes for the Ethanol Committee. Before my trip I had done some research on ethanol and had a basic understanding of it, but I had no idea how interesting it could be. After the Ethanol Committee Meeting ended I was fired up about ethanol and ready to tell the world how important it is as well as how necessary the RFS is.

Lucky for me, I had the opportunity to do just that during Nebraska’s Hill visits in DC. While meeting with Congressman Lee Terry I asked him about his view on the RFS, concluding with the question, “How can I prove to you that the RFS does not need to be reformed?” Since then I have been in communication with one of his staffers and spreading the word about ethanol everywhere I can.

While I am so happy to be back in Nebraska, part of me wishes my internship didn’t have to end. Thankfully, I know another Husker will fill my place at NCGA next summer.

Be sure to check out @CaseysCorn on Twitter for more on Ethanol and everything else I find interesting surrounding the world of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment