June 19, 2012

Washington Adventure

Share:
By David Bresel, NCGA-DC Intern

David BreselMoving to Washington D.C. for the summer was a dream come true. I have always wanted to spend time in our nation’s capital and was so glad to have the opportunity to do so. Through some friends of friends I was very lucky and found a place to live near Dupont Circle within the city. The neighborhood I live in is great with lots of young professionals and many places to see and visit. It is relatively close to work being right near a Metro train stop. I just hop onto the train everyday and it’s fast, easy and convenient.

My first day at work was great. I didn’t start until the afternoon which allowed me the chance to walk around the neighborhood where the National Corn Growers Association offices are. I gladly discovered what is now one of my favorite things about this city so far, FOOD TRUCKS! Food trucks are a wonderful idea where local restaurants and startup eateries serve a different assortment of goods from their trucks. There is anything from lasagna trucks to cheesecake trucks. It is wonderful to try different foods all the time with the convenience of being located right across the street from the NCGA office location.

I’ve always believed the thing that makes a job great is the people you work with. The people at NCGA are incredible. I have really enjoyed these past two weeks getting to know them, shadowing them, and working with them. My duties have been mixed with administrative type work and legislative policy work. This is great because it has given me the opportunity to really see and get to know all aspects of the NCGA office.

One of the biggest things that the office and I have been working on is the Farm Bill that is being debated in the Senate currently. NCGA and everyone in the agriculture community in D.C. is working hard to try and get the Farm Bill passed. Working to see the bill move through the Senate and then onto the House I’m certain will be an incredibly rewarding experience. It’s been a great opportunity to see how lobbying and politics work on a federal level.

Every day that I come into the office I have been extremely excited. It’s a wonderful feeling to go to work looking forward to what the day has in store. I am eager for the next coming weeks with all of the challenges and rewards that are in store for me and the staff at NCGA. Working here at NCGA has opened an entire new world of career opportunities and desires for my future. I’m very happy to say that things in Washington D.C. are great.

The National Corn Growers Association office in Washington, D.C. is hosting David Bresel of Lincoln, Neb., as their summer intern supported by a partnership between Nebraska Corn Board and NCGA. David is a student in at the University of Nebraska College of Law. He will be involved with a variety of issues related to environmental regulations, transportation, free trade agreements, biotechnology, ethanol and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment