June 1, 2012

New intern update!

Share:
My name is Melisa Konecky and I’m the new intern here at the Nebraska Corn Board in the Lincoln office.  I have the unfortunate task of trying to replace Lance, who did a fantastic job except for the fact that he forgot to bring brownies for the office after he promised (but eventually did – ha ).
I was born and raised on my family’s registered dairy cow, crop, and hay farm near Wahoo. So I spent my early years pretty much doing chores and getting into trouble. I spent my summers mowing hay, milking cows, and showing cows and that’s the way I liked it. It wasn’t until my senior year of high school, after I attended the Nebraska Agriculture Youth Institute, that I realized I had a passion for agriculture and that I wanted to be involved with it in my future. So I decided to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to study Animal Science and Ag Leadership, where I just finished up my junior year. In the future I have a crazy idea that I might go to Law School and study Ag Law but who knows.

While my main passion is cows I realized that I wanted to know more about other agriculture industries in Nebraska to prepare myself to defend our Number 1 industry in this state. So I got myself involved in all kinds of stuff; a dairy ambassador, Pork mentoring, Nebraska Agricultural Youth Council, 4-H ambassador, and numerous other things. I’ve learned so much through these great programs and gained so many experiences and connections that they led me to this internship.  
I’m really excited and thankful for the opportunity to learn about and represent the 23,000  corn farmers in Nebraska. So far I’ve worked about a week and I’ve loved every minute of it! I’ve already went to check out a possible new ethanol educational display at the Children’s Museum, went on day long farm tours with some high school kids, and of course done LOTS of paperwork . I can’t wait to see what we can do for the great corn farmers in this state, especially with the potential new resources. J

I’m going to leave you with a few fun (slightly embarrassing) facts.
-          A 1300 lb cow doesn’t scare me but a mouse or snake will make me run far, far away
-          I do have a slight love for Justin Bieber,
-          My last name is pronounced Kon –et-skee for all you non bohunks out there



4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your intern from an old NAYI friend ;)
    Good luck you'll do great! Loved reading a little bit more about you!
    kelseyhomolka-keepingupwithkelsey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey! I hope you are having a great summer and good luck with the new internship. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Mel! Cows are NOT scary... mice and snakes are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck this year!! And have fun!!

    -Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete