June 22, 2012

June is Dairy Month!

Share:
June is probably one of my favorite times of the year, for numerous reasons. One reason is that it is Dairy Month! And of course as a dairy farmer that is exciting, it’s a whole month to celebrate the great products and people behind dairy. So when the Corn Board asked me to do something for Dairy Month I started to think of all the things that are already available for consumers about dairy; yYouTtube, tTwitter, Facebook, blogs, websites, gossip, etc, but how do you know which ones to trust? I ask myself this all the time and I’m even a dairy farmer. But I always find that the best answers to listen to are people that deal with that topic everyday! So who better to answer questions about dairy than a dairy farmer? So my next thought was let’s go talk to dad, see what words of wisdom he has for the world.

My dad wasn’t big on talking on camera or being put in the ‘spotlight’! He whined and moaned and even rolled his eyes a few times (roles reversed). His next concern was how he looked but I told him not to worry about it. I wanted people to realize just how much work being a dairy farmer is, how not glorious it is. Not saying that he doesn’t love what he does, he does love his farm and his cows, but it’s a hard job.

We finally caught him and sat him down to talk, he only had about 20 minutes until he had to go load his feed wagon for his cows. He hadn’t shaved in 4 days and , had a lovely farmers tan! This was all because a few days before they had been putting up haylage, this causes him to get behind on pretty much everything but he took the time anyways to answer our questions. Thanks Ddad!!

Enjoy the video celebrating Dairy Month:



If you have any other questions you would like answered feel free to ask me – a dairy girl myself or visit the Midwest Dairy website. But remember to enjoy June with 3-a-day of dairy everyday; maybe even ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner? You have my permission!

A couple fast facts for you!
-There are 230 dairy farms in Nebraska
-Dairy is the number 5 agribusiness in Nebraska, generating $173 million a year
-It takes 48 hours or less for milk from travel from the farm to house

3 comments:

  1. Wow, great job Melisa - can't believe you got your dad to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Tommmy! When you close your eyes, you would swear it was Dad talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mel and Tommy!! He does sound like his dad and loves the spotlight just as much.

    ReplyDelete