June 8, 2015

Proud to Represent Nebraska Agriculture in Global Programs

Share:
By Amanda Clymer, US Grains Council Intern


Metro stations, museums, and taxis galore- not your normal small town Nebraska, let alone Lincoln. It’s the big city of Washington D.C. and I get to call this city home for the summer.

My name is Amanda Clymer and I just finished my sophomore year at the University of Nebraska- Lincoln where I major in agricultural economics. I grew up outside of David City, Nebraska on a small cattle, sheep and row crop operation.  This summer the Nebraska Corn Board has given me the opportunity to explore the supply chain further after the American producer delivers grain to the local elevator.  I am interning at the U.S. Grains Council in the Global Programs department to get a closer look at how this organization works to develop the export markets for U.S. grains and co-products.

The U.S. Grains Council is focused on developing markets, enabling trade and improving lives. The organization works specifically for corn, sorghum, barley producers and agribusiness organizations. In order for the organization to accomplish its goals, the organization implements a number of programs aimed toward maintaining markets and opening doors in new markets.  The Global Programs department works on several different USGC programs, but this time of year they are in full swing of planning for international trade teams coming to the U.S. The trade teams provide opportunities for USGC members and overseas customers to make connections and for international customers to see a firsthand look at the production, quality and export system in the U.S. Trade teams will be composed of buyers, end-users, policy makers, government regulators and media. As the intern in Global Programs I have had and will have the experience of helping to plan for the 27 trade teams coming to the U.S. to experience what I love, American agriculture.

Outside of my time in the office, I have been exploring what the city has to offer. I have taken the time to visit the United States Botanic Garden and the Smithsonian museums including the museum of American History and the Air and Space Museum. I have many more to see, but I have a few more weeks ahead of me. I am also looking forward to going to a Washington Nationals baseball game, canoeing down the Patomac, and going on a monuments by moonlight tour.

Lastly, when you’re in a new place it means the opportunity to try new food. My roommates and I have been marking restaurants off the list and adding new ones to the bottom. I know one staple for me already in D.C. is Pitango, a sorbet and gelato shop.

With two and a half weeks down, there is still lots to learn, explore and try. I am looking forward to the opportunities that await me here in Washington D.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment