December 19, 2016

Hear from some 2016 Nebraska Corn Board interns

Share:

Maddy Breeling
Internship: U.S. Grains Council; Headquarters, Washington, DC
Hometown: Omaha, Nebr.
UNL Major: Global Studies

Internship experiences:
  • Researched communications and policy issues related to biotechnology around the world
  • Worked with media on biotech issues
  • Assisted with annual stakeholder meeting in Louisville, KY
  • Created meeting/conference app
  • Daily office-related duties 

“I’m very interested in public policy. It was interesting to see how agriculture overlaps with other public policy issues such as trade and economics. My intern- ship was a unique and valuable experience—and the Nebraska Corn Board provided not only financial assistance but an amazing support system as well.”


Colton Flower
Internship: National Corn Growers Association, Washington, DC
Hometown: Scottsbluff, Nebr.
UNL Major: Agriculture Education Leadership

Internship experiences:
  • Assisting lobbyists with research and leave-behind materials
  • Writing articles and speeches
  • Writing weekly crop reports
  • Taking notes at Congressional hearings

“Growing up in Nebraska, you don’t realize all of
the different aspects that are in motion as part of agriculture. I never thought I could learn so much in just twelve weeks. There’s nothing that compares to being that far away from home and being involved in the scope of agriculture that I got to see at that level.”


Kelsey Scheer
Internship: U.S. Meat Export Federation, Denver, Colo.
Hometown: St. Paul, Nebr.
UNL Major: Animal Production, Production Management Option

Internship experiences:
  • Attending board of directors meeting in St. Louis
  • Research project to quantify the value of beef and pork exports to the corn industry
  • Assistance in the technical services department Attended World Pork Expo in Des Moines


“I grew a great deal personally as I discovered that some of the skills that I have naturally are valuable in the workplace—working hard, getting up early, being willing to accept responsibility. This internship definitely helped me prepare for a career in sales and marketing related to animal agriculture.”

Andrea Gurney
Internship: U.S. Grains Council, Panama City, Panama
Hometown: Huntley, Wyo.
UNL Major: Ag Business

Internship experiences:
  • Assist with marketing programs and international trade team visits
  • Coordination of distillers grains/sorghum conference in Peru
  • Meeting with grain producers throughout Central America
  • Interaction with U.S. Grains Council Mexico team



“This international internship has changed my view of the world, opened my mind and enhanced my respect for other cultures. I have a more global perspective now and can see myself working internationally in agriculture after I complete law school. I’m intrigued by the idea of making an impact on agriculture globally—and it sparks an extra fire in me to want to make a difference.”

No comments:

Post a Comment