July 21, 2016

An Update from the Beltway

Share:

By Colton Flower, NCGA intern, Washington, DC.


Steny Hoyer
It is hard to believe that I only a few weeks left in the Capital. As my time here is winding down, my to-do list is only getting long. Each week I cross more and more off of my personal to-do list and my NCGA to-do list, but with Corn Congress coming up and with only a couple weekends left they both lists seems to be growing.

Over the past few weeks I have been attending coalition meetings or sitting in on calls on almost a daily basis. I have also got to dig even deeper into the farm bill and compile more information and research various things for the lobbyists. I’ve attended several more PAC events. I have also been preparing for Corn Congress by scheduling hill visits, compiling delegate information packets, and helping plan for CornFest. It has also been very busy couple weeks for agriculture in general on the hill as the GMO labeling bills has been voted on. Getting the inside look on what it takes to pass a bill especially with such a urgent deadline was fascinating and watching the various groups come together to show support of a piece of legislation was also very unique to see.

Gary Johnson
Getting to work a long side the lobbyists and other staff here in the D.C. office has really opened my eyes to the opportunities here in Capital. After 8 weeks here I can really see myself pursuing a career here one day. I have been fortunate to meet so many people from other organizations and on the hill. Getting to meet other interns has also been great and exploring the city with them on the weekends has become one of my favorite things to do.

Whether it is kayaking up the Potomac River, attending festivals, visiting museums, or camping out to meet the Presidential candidates there is never a dull moment. So far I would have to say meeting Gary Johnson and Minority Whip Steny Hoyer have to be among my favorite experiences thus far.  

I can’t wait to see what these last weeks will consist of and I am even more excited to see some of my fellow Nebraskans at Corn Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment