July 17, 2017

Time Fly's When You're Having Fun

Share:
July is half way over and there is about a month till school starts. I cannot believe how fast the summer is flying by, but I guess that is what they say… “Time fly’s when you’re having fun.”

My summer has been filled with laughter and learning, what else could I ask for? When I started, everyone kept telling me that I would meet so many people and that I would be working with a great group of people. I underestimated how true that would be. I have been busy doing a variety of different jobs over the past month.

Board Member Visits 
I have been able to get out to board member John Greer and David Bruntz’s place since my last blog. John represents district two and lives in Edgar, Nebraska. David represents district one and lives in Friend, Nebraska. Both are places I had never been and it was great to visit! Nebraska is beautiful and so were these board members farms. It was great to hear their stories and I look forward to sharing them with the Nebraska Corn Board audience. I am so glad that I chose to do this as a project. I have loved meeting all of the board members and seeing more of the state that I grew up in. I can’t wait to meet the rest of the board members!

Greenwood I-80 
This was my fourth ethanol night at the races and it was probably my favorite! My family came to check out what I get to do for work and others from the office decided to visit as well. The night was a success, all of the giveaways we had brought had been given away and I had talked to numerous people about American ethanol! That was the last Ethanol Night at the Races and I am sad that it is over, but it was a wonderful experience. This was the best way for me to learn about ethanol because I got to talk to others about it and answer their questions. On top of the great people and conversations, Greenwood I-80 is home of the state’s best pork tenderloin sandwich, a title it absolutely deserves!

Japanese Bioethanol Media Team 
This is probably one of the best and most unique experiences I have been a part of at the Nebraska Corn Board. I was able to tag along with the Japanese Bioethanol Media Team that visited Nebraska. David Schuler, the intern in D.C. was the one who planned the trip as part of his project. The team was here for a whole week learning about Nebraska corn, ethanol and distillers grains. I was able to go with the team to the Green Plains Headquarters in Omaha where we learned about their ethanol plants and other projects. We then headed out to Jackson, Nebraska to Siouxland Ethanol Plant. I was just as amazed as the team we were with, this was my first time visiting an ethanol plant. It was a wonderful learning experience. Next, the U.S. Grains Council, Nebraska Corn and the team stopped at Jackson Express, the gas station in town. We had followed the corn to the ethanol plant and then to the gas station so our next stop was a feedlot that uses distillers grains. We visited Alexander Feedlots in Pilger, Nebraska. This was also my first time visiting a Feedlot! I have driven by many but, never stopped. So I was learning just as much as the team once again. This was a wonderful opportunity and I am so thankful! While I was riding along I got to put my photography skills to the test and took photos for Nebraska Corn, U.S. Grains Council and the places we visited to use!

NAYI Career Fair
I attended NAYI so when I found out that I would be able to help with it as an intern I was pumped! What made this even more exciting is that when I went to NAYI I heard about the internship I am currently in and was dead-set on applying. It sounded like something that I would love and learn from, and here I am! It was great to share this story with all of the NAYI participants as they visited our booth. It was also fun to be back on campus and see everyone! It was great to be surrounded by all of the positive attitudes and energy that the NAYI members brought. They had great questions and I hope to see some of them apply for these internships in the future. Kurtis and I definitely had the coolest table with fun music and awesome giveaways.

Vacation!
Outside of work I am taking a quick weekend trip to Mt. Rushmore! I have never been before and I am very excited! We are also stopping at Chimney Rock and a few other sites. My roommates and I are going on a trail ride through Custer State park while we are there too! I am ready to go, have a blast and cross this off my bucket list!

I was thinking about how the summer was almost over the other day and was sad for a second, then I remember the office is stuck with me through the school year! Each day I love my job more and more. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings!

Summer is almost over! Enjoy it while you can!

Catherine Jones
Marketing and Communications Intern
Nebraska Corn Board
301 Centennial Mall So.
Lincoln, NE 68509
Office: 402-471-2676

No comments:

Post a Comment