August 15, 2014

A Well-Experienced Summer

Share:

Abigal Wehrbein, USMEF-DenverBy Abigail Wehrbein, USMEF intern

This summer has been one to remember. I have had one of the best opportunities a college junior could ever experience. I had to grow up fast, but the things I learned living on my own in a bigger city like Denver, will prepare me for the rest of my life.

In my previous blog, I wrote about the projects I worked on this last summer. I was currently setting up a photo shoot at Tyson for the photos I will be using in the export beef poster and cut guidebook I am designing.

My supervisor and I finally traveled to Dakota City, NE with our photographer, Joe Mendoza, to the Tyson Corporate Offices. I had a great experience being a food stylist for the day in preparing the raw beef cuts to be photographed. Who knew meat could be so photogenic? abby

The next week back in Denver, we sat down with our graphic designer and started to plan out how we wanted everything to look. This involved me designing layouts for the cut guidebook and finding pictures of plated cooked beef. Although my internship came to an end, I will keep in touch with my supervisor and the graphic designer until we receive the finished product.

clip_image004Before I made the eight-hour drive back to Nebraska, I did some last minute sight seeing with my boyfriend in Wyoming. We rented an Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport Side-by-Side for the day and raced along the rocky trails in the mountains of Cinnabar Park around Albany and Centennial. It was a great way to wrap up my summer and although we didn’t see many animals, there were several spectacular views.

I met many people through my internship and made countless connections I plan to keep for years to come. I am so thankful for everything that happened and the Nebraska Corn Board for this summer. I encourage anyone to develop more experience and apply for the Nebraska Corn Board internships. Lastly, the mountains may be beautiful, but I am glad to be back surrounded by miles of cornfields again in Nebraska.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment