September 1, 2016

And that's a wrap!

Share:

By Maddy Breeling, USGC Intern, Washington D.C.
Me and Colton, the NCGA intern, 
at a restaurant over looking the White House 

Reflecting on my time here, at the U.S. Grain Council office, I can see how much I have been able to learn, how many amazing people I’ve met, and how many new opportunities have been presented. As my last week begins, I am both sad and excited. I am sad to leave the Council, and everyone I have met here, but I am also excited to go home to Nebraska, and be surrounded with all the things I have been missing. During this last week, I think this conflict will only grow as I slowly check things off my final to-do lists.

Two weeks ago I was able to attend a few of the Corn Congress events and meet some fellow Nebraskans. It was great to be able to connect with people back home about the issues I have been working with and observing here in D.C. It was also nice to be able to see some of the Corn Board’s staff and get a little piece of home in the city. This was just another example of an amazing event that I was able to participate in and learn from that I would have never been able to do without the Corn Board and Council.

Throughout my last few days, I am concluding my projects and preparing to present them to the office. It has been nice to have an assignment that I can work on and develop myself, with the backing and assistance of the staff here in D.C. Through my research and discussions with professionals in the bio-tech field, I feel that I have been able to create an in-depth perspective on bio-tech, something I was not incredibly familiar with before starting this. I can understand the Ag industry’s perspective, and see the obstacles and push back they face in a new light. I have also had a chance to discuss the issues with the anti- bio-tech side and gain an insight into their views. This has been the most valuable part of my internship: gaining a greater perspective on the major issues facing farmers and how the general public views them, especially those from a non-ag background. This seemed to be the theme of my time in D.C. and I believe it will help me immensely when returning to Nebraska as I can better communicate with both sides of the issues.

I am incredibly grateful for my time here in D.C with the U.S. Grains Council and the support the Nebraska Corn Board has given me throughout my time. Both of the organizations have given me immense opportunities to grow and an experience that not only will help me in my future, both academically and professionally, but personally as well. I am sad to leave D.C., but am just as excited to return back to my home, Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment