August 24, 2017

A Time for Reflection

Share:
A Time for Reflection As my internship at the U.S. Meat Export Federation comes to an end I have taken the time to reflect on how much this summer has impacted me and how beneficial my experiences at the U.S. Meat Export Federation (USMEF) will influence my future. I am so grateful that I had this incredible opportunity and I will cherish the memories made, the knowledge gained, and the lessons learned. The last few weeks of my internship have been focused on putting the finishing touches on my projects, asking last minute questions, and unfortunately, saying goodbye.

During my last week in Denver the Executive Committee and Board of Directors conducted a meeting in the Denver office. It was an honor to be a member of the team and help organize and host the meetings, as well as, greet guests as they arrived and give tours of the office. These meetings were planned and organized to discuss budgeting and membership. It was exciting to see the representation from all sectors of USMEF members in action.

The knowledge I have gained this summer while at USMEF is something I will take with me throughout the rest of my college career, graduate school, and when I enter the workforce. The meat and export industry knowledge I learned at USMEF in invaluable to me. I started my internship with the expectation that I would have a lot to learn; that was an understatement, all that I learned and gained during this summer far exceeding my expectations.

My internship gave me many opportunities to learn new skills and refine my abilities and talents. I learned graphic design during my work on my major project, something I never thought I could feel confident doing; I can definitely say I am comfortable using Photoshop and InDesign programs. I also had the opportunity to practice being able to make on-the-spot decisions, being adaptable to changing circumstances, and being innovative in the business setting.

A significant benefit I took away from my internship at USMEF was the important professional contacts I was able to make. The people I met are now some of my close mentors and people I definitely look up to. It was truly an honor to work with people I had read about in industry publications and was familiar with their professional accolades. They helped me build my self-confidence and emphasized that it is necessary to ask questions.

Overall, my summer has been extremely successful and I look forward to the possibility of future opportunities. I appreciate all the generosity and kindness I received at the U.S. Meat Export Federation and I would like to sincerely thank the Nebraska Corn Board for providing me the opportunity to work at the USMEF for the summer. I was sad to leave Denver, but I recognize this summer experience will greatly assist me as I continue to grow. This will be a summer I will always cherish.

Michaela Clowser
U.S. Meat Export Federation
1660 Lincoln Street, Suite 2800
Denver, CO 80254
Office: 303.623.MEAT

No comments:

Post a Comment